Curtiss C-46D Commando

Pima Air and Space Museum Aircraft

Manufacturer
Curtiss
Markings
2nd Combat Cargo Group, 5th Combat Cargo Squadron, Townsville, Australia, 1944
Designation
C-46D
Serial Number
44-77635

Curtiss C-46D Commando

Designed in the late 1930s as an airliner the Commando was quickly adopted by the Army Air Force because of its particularly large fuselage. The first C-46s entered service in 1942 and proved to be very well suited to military service. The Commando was very heavily used in the Pacific and became a very familiar sight flying “The Hump” cargo routes over the mountains between India and China. Commandos continued in service in fairly large numbers after the war and the last of them served with the 1st Air Commando Group in Vietnam during 1962.

Specifications
Wingspan 108 ft 1 in
Length 76 ft 4 in
Height 21 ft 9 in
Weight 56,000 lbs (loaded)
Max. Speed 269 mph
Service Ceiling 27,600 ft
Range 1,200 miles
Engines 2 Two Pratt & Whitney R-2800-51 radials, 2,000 horsepower each
Crew 4, 50 passengers