Designation: 415C

Erco 415C

Erco 415C ERCoupe

A picture of the Erco 415C ERCoupe

Designed by Fred Weick this small two passenger private plane first built in 1939 introduced several revolutionary design elements to the light plane pilots of the day.  It was the first General Aviation type aircraft with a tricycle landing gear, was of all metal mono-coupe design with a low wing and when compared to its high wing, tube framed, and fabric covered competitors it looked very sophisticated and modern.  However, the most intriguing design element is not visible from outside the aircraft.  In its standard form the Ercoupe does not have rudder pedals.  The rudder is mechanically linked to the ailerons and are both controlled by turning the control wheel.  This virtually eliminates the possibility of spinning the aircraft.  The Ercoupe was first sold in 1939, but World War II temporarily stopped production.  Production resumed in 1946 and Erco built 4,309 of them that year alone.  Production continued at significantly lower rates until 1950 when Erco stopped building aircraft.  Several other companies have built Ercoupes over the years since and the last one left the assembly line in 1970.

Wingspan 30 ft

Wingspan

Length 20 ft 2 in.

Length

Height 6 ft 3 in.

Height

Weight 1,260 lbs (loaded)

Weight

Max. Speed 117 MPH

Maximum Speed

Service Ceiling 14,500 ft

Service Ceiling

Range 400 miles

Range

Engines One Continental C-75-12 piston engine with 75 horsepower

Engine

Crew 2

Crew


Manufacturer
Erco

Markings
Pima Air & Space Museum, 2004

Designation
415C

Registration
N78X

Serial Number
1188

Pima Air & Space Museum

Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.

Charity EIN: 86-6031135

Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios

Contact Info

520-574-0462

6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756

Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm