Designation: C-123B

Fairchild C-123B

Fairchild C-123B Provider

A picture of the Fairchild C-123B Provider

The C-123 began in 1949, as a design for an all-metal cargo glider from Chase Aircraft.  It was designed from the beginning to be easily converted to a powered cargo aircraft and the first powered prototype flew in October 1949.  Chase Aircraft produced five flight testing aircraft before difficulties within the company resulted in the Air Force canceling the contract with them and turning further development and production of the aircraft over to Fairchild in June 1953.  A total of 302 C-123Bs were produced for the U.S. Air Force.  In 1960, eight Providers were transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard.  They were primarily used for logistics support, but also saw service in search and rescue operations.  Two aircraft, including this one, were modified to assist in the development of the LORAN-C navigation system.

Wingspan 110 ft

Wingspan

Length 75 ft 9 in.

Length

Height 34 ft 1 in.

Height

Weight 60,000 lbs (loaded)

Weight

Max. Speed 245 MPH

Maximum Speed

Service Ceiling 29,000 ft

Service Ceiling

Range 1,470 miles

Range

Engines Two Pratt & Whitney R-2800-99W radials with 2,300 horsepower each

Engines

Crew 2 with 61 passengers

Crew


Manufacturer
Fairchild

Markings
U.S. Coast Guard, Miami, Florida, 1972

Designation
C-123B

Registration
USCG 4505

Serial Number
55-4505

Pima Air & Space Museum

Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.

Charity EIN: 86-6031135

Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios
Privacy Policy

Contact Info

520-574-0462

6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756

Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm