Designation: C-124C

Douglas C-124C

Douglas C-124C Globemaster II

A picture of the Douglas C-124C Globemaster II

Development of the C-124 began in 1947.  Based on the short-lived C-74 the Globemaster II was intended to give the Air Force a long-range heavy-lift capability.  The largest aircraft in use by the U.S. Air Force at the time, the C-124 could carry over 200 passengers or large cargos that would not fit in any other aircraft.  The Globemaster II entered service in 1950 and they remained in use well into the 1970s.  The C-124C version introduced more powerful engines, weather radar and better de-icing equipment.  These changes were later refitted to earlier aircraft.  A total of 447 Globemaster IIs were built.

Wingspan 174 ft 2 in.

Wingspan

Length 130 ft

Length

Height 48 ft 4 in.

Height

Weight 194,500 lbs (loaded)

Weight

Max. Speed 271 MPH

Maximum Speed

Service Ceiling 18,400 ft

Service Ceiling

Range 4,030 miles

Range

Engines Four Pratt & Whitney R-4360-63A radials with 3,800 horsepower each

Engines

Crew 8 with 200 passengers

Crew


Manufacturer
Douglas

Markings
901st Military Airlift Group, Laurence G. Hanscom AFB, 1972

Serial Number
52-1004

Designation
C-124C

Pima Air & Space Museum

Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.

Charity EIN: 86-6031135

Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios

Contact Info

520-574-0462

6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756

Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm