Designation: CH-37B

Sikorsky CH-37B

Sikorsky CH-37B Mojave

A picture of the Sikorsky CH-37B Mojave

In 1951 the U.S. Marines issued a requirement for a new heavy assault helicopter.  Sikorsky’s offering was its first twin-engine helicopter, designated HR2S-1 by the Navy and H-37 by the Army.  The Mojave was a radical design for its time.  It had fully retractable main landing gear and a front opening clamshell door, with the engines in large pods on each side of the main fuselage.  The large five blade rotor was specially designed to allow the helicopter to continue flying if one of the blades was shot off.  The Mojave began testing with both the Army and Marines in 1953.  Deliveries to both services began in 1956, and production continued until 1960.  Mojave’s served as heavy-lift transports until the early 1970s.

Wingspan 72 ft

Rotor Diameter

Length 64 ft 3 in.

Length

Height 22 ft

Height

Weight 31,000 (loaded)

Weight

Max. Speed 130 MPH

Maximum Speed

Service Ceiling 8,700 ft

Service Ceiling

Range 145 miles

Range

Engines Two Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radials with 2,100 horsepower each

Engines

Crew 2 with 23 passengers

Crew


Manufacturer
Sikorsky

Markings
90th Transportation Company, Illesheim, West Germany, 1965

Serial Number
58-1005

Designation
CH-37B “Tired Dude”

Pima Air & Space Museum

Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.

Charity EIN: 86-6031135

Copyright © 2020
Website by CS Design Studios
Privacy Policy

Contact Info

520-574-0462

6000 E. Valencia Road Tucson, AZ 85756

Open 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 3:00pm