North American T-2C Buckeye
The Buckeye was designed in 1956 in response to a Navy requirement for a multi-purpose jet trainer. The first version of the aircraft used a single J34 jet engine and in this configuration the first flight was made in January 1958. Deliveries to training squadrons began in 1960. At the same time a program to redesign the Buckeye with two more modern jets was underway. This resulted in the T-2B, which entered Navy service in 1965. In 1969, even more efficient engines were fitted to the Buckeye resulting in the T-2C. The new General Electric J85 engine produced the same performance for significantly lower costs. The Buckeye began to be replaced in Navy service in the 1990s by the T-45 Goshawk.
Manufactured by North American Aviation, Columbus, Ohio and delivered to the U.S. Navy in July 1970.
Assignments between 1970 and 1974 are unknown.
March 1974 Training Squadron 23 (VT-23), Naval Air Station Kingsville, Texas.
August 1975 Training Squadron 10 (VT-10), Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.
November 1982 Training Squadron 4 (VT-4), Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.
1996 Training Wing 6 (CTW-6), Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida.
April 2003 Loaned to Pima Air & Space Museum by the National Naval
|Wingspan||38 ft 2 in.||
|Length||38 ft 8 in.||
|Height||14 ft 9 in.||
|Weight||13,180 lbs (loaded)||
|Max. Speed||521 MPH||
|Service Ceiling||44,400 ft||
|Engines||Two General Electric J85-GE-4 turbojets with 2,950 pounds of thrust each||
Carrier Training Wing 6 (CTW-6), Naval Air Station Pensacola, Florida