In May 1946, the Bell Model 47 became the first helicopter in the world to receive a commercial type certificate. Military interest in the type was strong, and the first military versions flew in December 1946. The Model 47 was used by all branches of the U.S. military and by many foreign nations. The HTL-7 is the Navy’s trainer version of the Model 47J. The first were delivered 1958 and a total of eighteen were built. In 1962 they were re-designated as TH-13N.
Built by Bell Helicopter Company and delivered to the U.S. Navy in August 1958.
November 1958 – To Helicopter Training Group One (HTG-1), Ellyson Field, Florida.
January 1960 – To Utility Helicopter Squadron Two (HU-2), Lakehurst Naval Air Station, New Jersey.
Diameter of Main Rotor
Helicopter Utility Squadron Four (HU-4), Naval Air Station Lakehurst, New Jersey, 1965
February 1960 To Experimental Aircraft Squadron One (VX-1), Key West Naval Air Station, Florida.
July 1960 To Utility Helicopter Squadron Four (HU-4), Lakehurst Naval Air Station, New Jersey.
November 1960 To Experimental Aircraft Squadron One (VX-1), Key West Naval Air Station, Florida.
December 1960 To Overhaul and Repair, Jacksonville Naval Air Station, Florida.
April 1961 To Utility Helicopter Squadron Four (HU-4), Lakehurst Naval Air Station, New Jersey. Deployed on USS Edisto September 1962 to April 1963. Deployed on USS Eastwind from August 1963 to February 1964, on USS Edisto from May 1964 to August 1964, and on USS Westwind from July 1965 to October 1965.
July 1966 To Davis-Monthan AFB for storage.
June 1967 Declared surplus.
1969 Loaned to Pima Air and Space Museum by United States Air Force Museum.
1976 National Naval Aviation Museum assumes responsibility for loan.
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios
6000 E Valencia Rd, Tucson, AZ 85756
Open 9 AM – 3 PM Daily
Last Admittance at 1:30 PM