Designed as a follow up to the Cessna 140A as a two-seat trainer the Model 150 featured tricycle landing gear, a redesigned wing and more effective flaps. It entered production in 1958 and met with resounding success. The 150 outsold all similar aircraft throughout the 1960s and 1970s. By the late 1960s over half of all civil flight training in the United States was being done in the Model 150. The main criteria for the Model 150 were reasonable performance at a low cost. The aircraft delivered both and has remained popular both as a trainer and for pleasure flying. The “L” version of the Model 150 was introduced in 1971. Modifications included a longer dorsal fin to improve stability and modified landing gear that reduced weight and improved the plane’s handling on the ground. It was also Cessna’s habit to give each model year’s aircraft a different paint scheme, even if no other changes were made.
Johnnie Anderson, 1983
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios