The Fairchild PT-26 is the third in a family of three primary trainers introduced in 1939. Designed to replace the biplane trainers then in use the single, low-winged Cornell more accurately reflected the front-line fighters that cadets would later be asked to fly in combat. The PT-19 was the basic version of the Cornell while the PT-23 had the same basic airframe with a radial engine fitted. Most PT-26s were built by Fleet Aircraft of Canada with an enclosed cockpit and other cold weather modifications for use by the Royal Canadian Air Force. Cornells served in Canada until they were phased out of service in 1947. Fairchild and Fleet built over 1,700 PT-26s.
Royal Canadian Air Force, 1943. Displayed partially unskinned to show internal structure
Pima Air & Space Museum