The T-1A began as a Lockheed funded modification to the T-33. Changes included a more powerful engine and raising the instructor’s seat by six inches to improve visibility. Once the U.S. Navy showed interest in the design further changes were made to strengthen the plane for use on aircraft carriers. The first test flights were carried out in 1953, but it did not enter service until 1957. The Seastar had a relatively short career in squadron service and most were quickly relegated to support roles. Of the 150 Seastars built only two are known to survive.
Naval Air Station Quonset Point, Rhode Island, 1970
Pima Air & Space Museum
Creating unlimited horizons in aerospace education through the preservation and presentation of the history of flight.
Charity EIN: 86-6031135
Website by CS Design Studios